Scope: In this post, I'll go you through the steps of how to remove a node in a 19c RAC cluster.
In this demo:
clsn2 will refer to the node name to be deleted from the cluster in this demo.
orcl will refer to the cluster database name.
orcl2 will refer to the DB instance name on the node to be deleted.
Step 1: Shutdown all DB Instances running on the node to be deleted:
# srvctl stop instance -db orcl -i orcl2 -o abort
Step 2: Delete all DB Instance on the node to be deleted:
Note: This will delete the instance, remove it's REDOLOG thread and remove its UNDO tablespace as well:
# dbca -silent -ignorePrereqFailure -deleteInstance -gdbName orcl -instanceName orcl2 -sysDBAUserName sys -sysDBAPassword oracle#123#
-gdbName Provide the same value in DB_UNIQUE_NAME
-instanceName The name of the instance on the node to be deleted
Step 3: Unpin the Node to be deleted:
- Check if the node you want to remove is pinned: [As root - On the node to be deleted]
# olsnodes -s -t
- If the node is pinned, then unpin it: [As root - On the node to be deleted]
# crsctl unpin css -n clsn2
Step 4: Deinstall GRID Home: [As GRID HOME owner - On the node to be deleted]
Step 5: Remove the Node from the cluster: [As root - On any of other node in the cluster]
# $GRID_HOME/bin/crsctl delete node -n clsn2
- Verify the Node deletion: [As GRID HOME owner - On any of other node in the cluster]
# $GRID_HOME/bin/cluvfy stage -post nodedel -n node_list -verbose
Verifying Node Removal ...
Verifying CRS Integrity ...PASSED
Verifying Clusterware Version Consistency ...PASSED
Verifying Node Removal ...PASSED
Post-check for node removal was successful.
Step 6: Delete the VIP Name:
- Get the VIP name of the deleted Node: [As GRID owner - On any of other node in the cluster]
# $GRID_HOME/bin/srvctl config vip -node clsn2 | grep 'Name'
VIP Name: clsn2-vip
- Delete the VIP name of the deleted node using the VIP name output from previous command: [As root - On any of other node in the cluster]
# $GRID_HOME/bin/srvctl stop vip -vip clsn2-vip
# $GRID_HOME/bin/srvctl remove vip -vip clsn2-vip -noprompt